We all have our comfort food that not only makes our belly full but our soul happy. This recipe is a comfort food and perfect for winter nights when it’s colder outside than in your freezer. We have served it a variety of side, but dumplings happen to be our favorite. I have included both recipes for you here today.
- Ingredients: Stroganoff
- 1 – 2 lbs. of hamburger
- 1 large onion, cut in half and sliced
- 1 – 2 lbs. of sliced mushrooms, you can use any you like
- 2 – 3 large jars of beef gravy. I used store bought from Heinz, but you can make it yourself if you prefer.
- Using a large pan, or electric skillet, add the hamburger, sliced onion and sliced mushrooms. You want the meat to be completely cooked, the onion and mushrooms, tender. Drain excess grease.
- Pour in your gravy, I prefer to have it thicker, as we serve this dish with sour cream and it thins out the gravy. So start with one or two jars of gravy, you can always add more.
- Simmer stroganoff until heated through, this gives you plenty of time to make the dumplings or your preferred side dish.
- Ingredients: Dumplings
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1 egg
- Water – Use as much water as needed to make your dumpling batter. Usually no more than 1 cup.
- 8 cups of beef broth
- Pour the beef broth into a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Combine the flour, egg, and water in a bowl and mix until the spoon stands on it’s own. If you have added too much water, simply add more flour to the mixture.
- When the beef broth is boiling, taking a tablespoon, scoop about 1 tablespoon of the dumpling batter and add it to the beef broth. The hot liquid will release the sticky dumpling mix from the spoon. To make it easier, before you start, dip the spoon in the hot broth before scooping the batter.
- Once all the dumplings are in the broth, let them cook fully, about 20 minutes. After they are cooked, remove them from the broth and discard the remaining liquid. Serve the dumplings with the stroganoff and sour cream if preferred.
- These dumplings also work perfectly with Chicken Dumpling soup, simply cook them in the chicken stock instead of beef.
To serve, add dumplings and cover with stroganoff, add a dollop of sour cream if you like, or serve plain. Try the stroganoff with Rice, Egg Noodles, or Mashed Potatoes as well.