There are certain foods that you just turn to when you need comfort, or convenience; Grilled Cheese is one of these foods. However there is only so much you can do with a grilled cheese right? Bread, cheese, grill, done. BUT, what if I told you some new variations on this old favorite that will make you eager to try them for your family tonight? Well challenge accepted, here are a few options for you.
Mac & Cheese Grilled Cheese
- You start out with your normal, bread, butter, cheese, but between the cheese you add a scoop of your favorite mac and cheese. Put the top on and let it grill like normal. The sandwich is more substantial than a normal grilled cheese, but continues to have that traditional taste and flavor.
Pizza Grilled Cheese
- Instead of using American cheese, use mozzarella cheese and add your favorite pizza toppings in the middle. A swipe of sauce, some pepperoni, mushrooms, black olives, onions or green peppers. Whatever you prefer on your pizza you can put between the slices of bread. If you wish to dunk your sandwich in the pizza sauce that is also a great option.
Sloppy Joe Grilled Cheese
- Similarly to the Mac and Cheese version. Simply put in a small scoop of sloppy joe sauce and meat and continue to grill as normal. Again this version provides you the option to have a more substantial sandwich but continue to have that comfort food feeling.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese
- Combine 3 ounces of cream cheese, 1/4 tsp of garlic powder, 2 TBSP of diced jalapeno (or to taste), 2 TBSP of parmesan cheese, in a small bowl. Spread a portion of the mixture on your slices of bread followed by your preferred sliced cheese. Grill as normal. *You can add bacon if you desire
The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
- This one is a family favorite in our house and we can customize each sandwich to the person’s preference. Here is the guide:
- You will need at least 5 different types of sliced cheese (try not to use American). We usually use: Cheddar, Colby Jack, Havarti, Swiss, Provolone, and Pepper Jack. You will put one of each slice of cheese between the two slices of bread.
- Hard boil 1 egg per sandwich. Fry one pound of bacon. Fry, 1 medium to large onion until well caramelized. Slice tomatoes. Please use Texas bread as it is thicker and able to support the sandwich.
- For the ultimate grilled cheese, place your cheese on both sides of the bread, 2-3 on each side. Slice the egg and place the slices on one side of the sandwich, top with bacon. On the other slice of bread add the fried onions and tomato. The sandwich will be really thick when you join both sides, so ensure your cheese is melted before you add the extra toppings.
When looking to make your grilled cheese the next time you need it’s comfort, consider trying one of these options as well. They are still a comfort, but allow some variety. Most you can still dunk into your tomato soup as well.
2 thoughts on “The Ultimate in Grilled Cheese”