I love brownies. There is never a wrong time for brownies. From a box, from a store, homemade, they are always appreciated. Now add in some peanut butter and chocolate enhancing flavors, and you have a delight for your mouth. Here’s how you can make your own tray of luscious brownies for a crowd, your family, or with enough determination, yourself.
- 1 pound unsalted butter
- 1 pound plus 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips (divided)
- 6 ounces of unsweetened chocolate
- 6 extra large eggs
- 3 Tbsp instant coffee granules
- 2 Tbsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour (divided)
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup smooth peanut butter
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Butter and flour a 12 by 18 by 1 1/2-inch sheet pan.
- Melt together the butter, 1 pound of chocolate chips, and the unsweetened chocolate in a medium bowl over simmering water. Allow to cool slightly. In a large bowl, stir (do not beat) together the eggs, coffee granules, vanilla, and sugar. Stir the warm chocolate mixture into the egg mixture and allow to cool to room temperature.
- In a medium bowl, sift together 1 cup of flour, the baking powder, and salt. Add to the cooled chocolate mixture. Toss the remaining 12 ounces of chocolate chips in a medium bowl with 1/4 cup of flour, then add them to the chocolate batter. Pour into the prepared sheet pan. Spoon the peanut butter over the top of the chocolate mixture and using a knife, swirl it through the chocolate mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes, then rap the baking sheet against the oven shelf to force the air to escape from between the pan and the brownie dough. Bake for about 10 to 15 minutes more or until a toothpick comes out clean. Do not overbake! Allow to cool thoroughly, refrigerate, and cut into large squares.
This recipe makes 20 very large brownies, or if you cut them smaller you may get 40 smaller ones. Keep in mind these are a heavy, denser brownie than what you may be used to. If you choose to eat them when they are still warm, consider a scoop of ice cream with your brownie for a delicious brownie a la mode option.