I’ve talked about some cemeteries before on this site, but I saved Bachelor’s Grove for October. I figured it was a great way to start off one of the best months of the year. Let’s dig into the paranormal soil that resides inside the gates of Bachelor’s Grove Cemetery.
Chicago, IL; home to the Willis Tower, Oprah, The Cubs, and Bachelor’s Grove. Located in Cook County, in the southwest suburbs of Chicago, you will find Bachelor’s Grove Cemetery, 5900 W Midlothian Turnpike, Midlothian, IL 60445.
Burials at this cemetery possibly go back as far as 1833, but officially in 1836. There are 82 plots and 200 graves, some not being used. It has been suggested that the organized crime members of the 1920’s and 1930’s used the cemetery as a dumping ground, but this has not been validated.
There have been many stories and experiences of the paranormal in the cemetery including:
- Phantom vehicles
- The White Lady, she carries and infant during a full moon
- A phantom farmhouse that shimmers, floats, and then vanishes.
- A farmer and plow horse seen in the nearby slough
- A two headed ghost
- Monks, or figures in monk’s robes
- A Black Dog, disappearing as people approached it.
- Woman Sitting On The Grave, this is perhaps the most well known photo as it was printed in the Chicago Sun Times. A transparent woman was sitting on the grave, but was not visible when the photo was taken.
Many people have visited to capture the paranormal on film or as an EVP. But to really know and believe one has to visit. Are you brave enough to go to the cemetery at night to commune with the dead?
Happy Hunting my Friends!