Everyone needs a basic recipe, one that you know how to make, and one that you can make in a variety of ways, simply by adding a few ingredients to change it up. This is one of those recipes that you can personalize and make to fit any occasion.
- 1 cup (227 g) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ¾ cup (177 g) granulated sugar
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg yolk, room temperature
- 2 ¼ cups (292 g) all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons turbinado sugar
- Beat the butter, sugar, together until creamy.
- Mix in the salt and vanilla followed by the egg yolk. Stop to scrape down the sides of the bowl as needed.
- Add the flour and mix just until incorporated.
- Divide the dough in half and shape each half into a disk. Wrap each half tightly in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1-2 hours, until firm.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F and line 3 baking sheets with parchment.
- Between 2 pieces of parchment paper, roll 1 piece of dough to ⅛-inch thickness. With floured 2 to 3-inch cookie cutters, cut the dough into as many cookies as possible. Wrap and refrigerate the leftover trimmings.
- Place the cookies 1-inch apart on the prepared baking sheet. Sprinkle the top of each cookie with turbinado sugar or colored sugar.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes, until just beginning to turn golden around the edges.
- Cool on the pan for 5 minutes then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
Happy Baking, Eating, and Holidays!