One of the easiest things in the world to make is a roast. Low and slow, and yet I never could make them right. I don’t know what I would do wrong, but I just stopped trying to make them. It’s one of my favorites and I never could make them properly. Until now.
My father shared this recipe with me, and it’s super customizable to your preferred tastes. Here is what I do, but please feel free to adjust it as you like.
- Beef Roast and Vegetables:
- 4–5-pound chuck roast
- 1 bag of baby carrots (I usually use 2 bags)
- 2 -3 pounds of potatoes (I use 2 smaller bags of baby potatoes)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 3/4 cup of red wine (optional)
- 1 packet of onion soup mix
- Turn the Instant Pot on sauté and brown the roast for about 5-8 minutes on each side until nicely browned and caramelized. Remove the meat and set aside.
- Add the wine and deglaze the bottom of the pot. Add the vegetables and the broth and put the meat back on top of the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the onion soup mix on top and change the setting to manual and change the timer to 50 minutes. Close the top and vent and let the roast cook.
- After the time is up, let it naturally release for 15 minutes and then do a quick release.
You can thicken the gravy with flour and butter or use it as it is. Either way it’s delicious.